Thursday, August 6, 2009

Coke vs. Pepsi

           


Who wins in the battle of Coke versus Pepsi? Taste-wise, it's all the same. Pepsi might be sweeter than Coke, but so what? Different taste buds means different preferences. I happen to like the sweetness of Pepsi, but I know a whole lot of people that would disagree. So, when it comes to taste, I'm going to have to call it a draw between Coke and Pepsi. The real winner have might be determined by the brand advertising.

In July, 2008, Toxel a design and inspirational blog, created two posts dedicated to Collection of Cool Coke Ads and a Collection of Cool Pepsi Ads. These posts feature some of the best advertisements from both brands.

Coke has had consistency in the brand advertising throughout the 20th century and into the 21st. These ads often feature fuzzy arctic animals, themes of classicism, and of course, that trademarked bottle.



While Coke excels in consistency of message, Pepsi excels in overall creativity. Take a look:






I would have named Pepsi the hands down winner a year ago based off the advertisements above. The 2009 campaigns of Pepsi and Coke have made me re-evaluate this decision. I'm going to be honest, I hate the new Pepsi Word Play campaign. In my opinion Pepsi advertisements are poorly conceived, non-sensical and just asking for parodies like the one below:



Coke, on the other hand, has increased the creativity in the 2009 advertisement campaign while still maintaining that sense of consistency. Take a look at the 2009 Coca-Cola Heist Superbowl ad:



I'm going to have to wait a year or so and see the progression of the Coke and Pepsi campaigns before I feel comfortable naming a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment